south trails rv

RV Glossary

Terms RVers Use

RV Glossary

RV Terms

Basement: The storage area below the main area of your motorhome that is accessed from the outside. (Usually in a Class A or Class C motorhome)

Batwing: Name for the standard RV TV antenna which resembles a pair of wings.

Black Water Tank: Where your waste water is held.

Blue Boy: Portable wheeled plastic tote used to transport waste tank sewage from the RV to the dump station. Usually towed at slow speed by the tow vehicle.

Boondocking: Known as dry camping or "roughing it". Boondocking refers to camping without any sources or external hookups. These include water- sewer and electricity.

Chucking: The violent back and forth motion experienced during towing. Usually caused by an unbalanced trailer or uneven roadway.

Coach: Also known as a Class "A" RV or motorized RV. Some use this term for Class A Diesel Motorhomes, others use it loosely for any motorhome.

Converter: A device that changes 110v AC power into 12v DC power.  

Cockpit: Where the driver sits to drive in a motor home. 

Dinghy (Toad): This is the vehicle that is being towed by your motorhome.

Dump Station: A place where you can empty your black and grey tanks.

Chassis: This is the framework that supports the entire motorhome.

Dry Camping (Boondocking): This is camping without hook ups to any utilities. You still have the power from your generator and water from your holding tanks.

Dually: A pickup truck, or light-duty tow vehicle, with four tires on one rear axle.

Extended Stay Site: Campsite where you can stay very long periods of time; up to months or even a whole season. 

Fiver: Another name for a fifth wheel RV.

Fresh Water Tank: Where your drinking water is held.

Full Hookup: Campsite with direct connections to electricity; sewer and water amenities.

Full-Timers: These are people who live out of their RV year round.

Galley: The kitchen.

Gray Water Tank: This is where used water from sinks and showers is stored.

Holding Tanks: On most motorhomes you have three different water tanks Black - Grey - and Fresh.

Honey Wagon: A truck or trailer with large liquid tank on it that comes around to pump out the RV waste tanks.

Hose Bib: A campsite faucet with fresh water.

Hula Skirt: A skirt placed on the back bumper of a motorhome to prevent debris that is thrown from the rear wheels from damaging vehicles behind the motorhome.

Inverter:  A device that changes 12v battery power to 110v AC power.  

Jake Brake: The engine brake used on some diesel vehicles.

King Pin: This is the round cylinder shape piece hanging down at the very front of a fifth wheel trailer. It connects to the jaws of the fifth wheel hitch in the back of the tow vehicle.

Moochdocking: Dry camping for free on someone else's property, like a driveway belonging to a friend or relative. 

Newbie: Someone new to the RV world

Part-Timers: These are people who will live months at a time in their RV put still hold a place of residence.

Puller: Class A Diesel Motorhome that has the diesel motor located in the front.

Pusher: Class A Diesel Motorhome that has the diesel motor located in the rear.

Pull-Through: A camp site with easy access and departure that will allow you to set up and leave without ever having to back up.

Reefer: Term used for the RVs LP gas/Electric refrigerator.

Rig: Another name for a motorhome.

Sani-Dump: Term for a sewer dump station where RVers dump their waste tanks.

Shore Power: Electrical hookup for power, often in the absence of water and waste water hookup. 

Slideout: A feature room that expands to create more living space; usually in the living room and bedroom areas.

Snowbirds: These are people who will take their RV south in the winter time and north in the summer.

Sticks N Bricks: What RVers call a regular type of house.

Stinky Slinky: What some RVers call the flexible sewer hose used to dump the RV waste tanks.

Tail Swing: Describes the extra distance the rear end of the RV uses during a turn. The longer the space between the rear wheel and the end of the RV the larger the tail swing will be. It is very important to know how much tail swing your RV has when turning corners in tight situations.

Tow Dolly: Small two wheeled trailer used to attach a tow vehicle to the back of an RV.

Triple Tow: Known as the brave act of towing your RV trailer and another trailer behind that, such as an RV and a boat.

WallyDock: A seasoned RVer's term for parking your RV overnight at Walmart

Wheel Chocks: Slanted blocks, usually made of plastic material but sometimes wood. Used to prevent the RV from rolling.

Workamping: Generally refers to RVers exchanging work for a free campsite utilities and possibly a small wage. Full time RVers usually do this to travel without extra expense.